Monday, September 6, 2010

Nifty Thrifty

To anyone who has ever searched for the perfect thrift store--well organized, a friendly staff, awesome selection, and unbeatable prices, you can stop looking. I have found it. Located in sleepy Winlock Washington, just a couple miles from the winding Interstate 5, is the cleverly named Sacks First Avenue. This well established and diverse little shop is on the outskirts of Winlock's main drag in a charming rustic building full of treasures from floor to ceiling. When I went in the woman behind the counter called a cheerful hello and told me of the current brown bag special. For a mere $6, she told me I could fill a paper grocery bag to the brim with any combination of pants, tops, dresses, and jackets. Absolutely delighted, I accepted the offer and wound up with two full bags bursting at their paper seams of beautiful secondhand clothing.

This store was a Godsend. I am still in the process of furnishing and decorating my first apartment, and I was able to find all sorts of little things for my livingroom, bathroom, and especially my kitchen. I even found a pair of shoes for my size 11 feet! This in itself is a rarity at any store, let alone a thrift store. I left with books, pillows, and knives and all sorts of things I needed. All the while I was shopping, the woman behind the counter (who, as it turns out, was the owner) went out of her way to be friendly and even helped me out to my car.

With every knick knack and paddy whack imaginable with the friendliest service west of I-5, Saks First Avenue is your only answer. Definitely worth the trip.

No comments: