Thursday, October 1, 2009

Even the normal ones have their vices.

"I dont like to put people up on a pedestal," he said as he took another bite of cafeteria meatloaf. I nodded. "It's a really unhealthy thing to do. They are only human, and humans always let you down."

We had just come from class, having spent the last two hours discussing the assigned reading. It was a journal, written by a girl who went to the same college we now attended. Classroom discussions, I found out, were very open. Each person (about 20 of us in the class) was given the opportunity to give their opinion, while everyone else listened. I had ventured out in class, saying I had a hard time trying not to put the author up on a pedestal. While she had been an incredible and articulate writer from a very early age, the message that she conveyed was that she wasn't anything but a normal person. Average in looks, speech, background, but she was passionate about human rights. And boy, she had a love affair with words. Enchanting to read, and very emotional. I now sat at a long wooden table with a plate of noodles and limp vegetables in front of me. Across the table sat a tall, average looking boy from my class. I learned he was from California, and decided to sit with him because I found comfort in his conservative appearance. In a sea of dread-head radicals dressed in wool, my classmate's outfit of jeans and a sweatshirt sent off a vibe of "normalcy." Shallow as it was, I sat with him because he didnt look crazy or weird. Crazy and weird are good sometimes, but not all the time. I took my eyes off my lunch and back at my new friend as he finished his thought.

"I dont put anyone up on a pedestal...except for maybe the original lineup of Black Sabbath."

I waited for him to laugh at his own joke or even crack a smile, but he didn't. I finished my lunch and left as quickly and politely as I could.

1 comment:

Adam Fryatt said...

For all you know, that might have been the most important conversation of your life.