Saturday, February 21, 2009

Afternoon in the Emerald City.

My father called me late Thursday night, asking me if I had any plans for the weekend. I said no, then he asked, "Wanna go see the Evergreen Campus?" Ecstatic, I said yes, and this morning we hopped a plane to Seattle, via virgin air (check 'em out, ridiculously cheap flights). Tomorrow and monday we will be in Olympia, but today we hung out in Seattle. After a long lunch with my uncle and his family downtown, we all headed back to my cousin's condo in Bellevue to watch some game that I had no interest in, but sat through anyway.

It was very nice to see family, as I rarely get the opportunity. I stayed with Brennan and Ryan at their condo for a couple weeks last summer, but I cant remember the last time I'd see their parents. It was great, especially to see my father interact with his older brother. Even though they are like 13 years apart, they acted almost like...well, little boys. Constantly teasing each other and laughing, and at one point they were trying to trip each other as they tried to get to their cars. Quite funny. I didnt see Uncle John much as I was growing up, just a handful of occasions spread out every couple years. The last few times, however, I notice just how much like my father he is. They've both got this bizzare, cheesey sense of sense of humor and a love of all things nerdy. John was telling us that he could easily name all 50 states (a bet my father lost on the plane), and on top of that, he could name all four state capitals that didn't have an interstate running through them, as well as name 50 different knots, (yes, knots) If you've ever even met my father, you know he loves stuff like that.

Much as it might make me shudder thinking about how they interact when left alone together, I can't deny how much fun it would be. Talking about the amounts of raisins that can be eaten without adverse affects, college basketball, and the correct term for a herd of lizzards, Floyds are, afterall, fun people.

No comments: