Thursday, February 12, 2009

Northbound 715.

As I was on the train yesterday, I tried to work on essays for some scholarships to pass the time. I quickily became very distracted, having to write forced things, and I began to write other things. Nonsense at first, then 2 girls got on the train and sat across from me. They inspired me to start an essay. Not for any scholarship, just for my own pleasure. I got about halfway done before I realized how terrible it was.

I had titled it "Sluts, Retards, and Old Friends: People You Meet on the Train." I felt awful. It seemed so judgemental. I had indeed been inspired from the characters on the train, but was that wrong of me to slander them, even if just to myself? I felt so guilty, especially when one of the sluts went to the bathroom and came back. She had the potential to see the title on my computer screen, but even then would she know I was talking about her?

They might not have been sluts. Maybe the boys they called their boyfriends weren't their boyfriends at all, so the new boys they talked about meeting up with this weekend were indeed fair game.

Maybe the man who had struck up a conversation with me wasnt retarded after all. Maybe he just wasnt all that smart, or liked to pretend he wasnt. He told me about his most recent job at an auto shop, how he wrecked an rv into a little mustang, or when he flipped a car off the risers mechanics use to lift them up. He told me about his fear of mice, and that he was going to visit his sister to help her move. Also, in case I was wondering, he told me that his uncle lived in Petaluma, an hour's drive from his sister. He fisnished the conversation by asking me if I had ever been to Magic Mountain. I said no, but I wished him well as he got off the train to wait for his sister.

And the old friend, well, I knew I was right about her. When I first boarded I had to wait for the attendant to check my ticket. I heard a familiar voice behind me, turned around and saw her. I quickily turned back around in my seat and waited. Ashleigh and I had gone to school together, probably for a number of years, but I only remember jr. high. She was in the grade above me, and that in itself was a reason I found her intimidating. I dont remember how I got to know her, but I did. She was quite friendly then, and it was good to be on her good side. The last time I had seen her was when I was in Sacramento. I had just gotten off the train and was waiting for a friend to pick me up. She saw me, and told me she had just applied to work for amtrack, so this time when I saw her I wasnt all that surprised.

She walked towards my seat and picked up my ticket without even looking at me. I threw in a greeting of "Hey cutie" to throw her off. Haha. It worked, "Hey! Its you!" We talked for a bit, and she introduced me to another attendant, and exchanged numbers. It had been good to see a familiar face.

I never could bring myself to finish my essay. Im not sure how fair it is, nor what I would do with it. Either way, I wont soon forget my train ride with the sluts, the retard, and my old friend.

No comments: